In her article "One-Minute Fluency Measures: Mixed Messages in Assessment and Instruction," Teresa Deeney addresses the use of one-minute fluency measures, but also identifies some problems that come with these specific assessments. She defines fluency with 4 major components: accuracy, rate or speed, prosody, and comprehension. Although these components define fluency, they are not all being assessed. One thing I found to be very interesting was how big of an effect accuracy has on comprehension. If a couple of key words are misread in a text, the whole idea of that text could be inaccurate. I think that happens a lot to students because they get so caught up in trying to read fast that they misread key words in the text, therefore altering their comprehension. Sometimes it becomes difficult to measure all of the components of fluency. One-minute assessments are useful for two things: accuracy and rate, but fluency is more than that. I think that the deeper approaches to fluency assessment are crucial for measuring and improving students' reading fluency. I really liked the idea of including fluency in other assessments, and tying assessment to instruction.
The second article "Creating Fluent Readers," refers to reading fluency as having three components that include: accuracy in word decoding, automatic processing, and prosodic reading. These are very similar to the components of the other article. The article presents different ways to assess each component of fluency and also include helpful instructional strategies that foster fluent reading. I like the idea of assisted readings and repeated readings to help students develop reading fluency. I think it is important to model fluent reading to students, using expression and flow. I also think that repeated readings can be helpful to students, because it allows them to improve their speed, and decoding skills.
In chapter 4 includes three components of fluency as well, these include: accuracy, speed, and prosody. The book explains that the development of fluency is crucial and should be a major goal in reading instruction. Chapter 4 offers many instructional strategies to help students improve and develop reading fluency. I think it is important to provide students with easy texts and ones they are interesting in to help them develop fluency. I think that providing easy texts of interest will boost their confidence in reading. Similar to the second article, chapter 4 suggests ways to promote fluency by modeling fluent reading by reading with expression and by re-reading. Another way to promote reading fluency is have a word wall in the classroom that contains high-frequency words for the students to refer to. I love the idea of the word wall and hope to use it in my own classroom one day.
I, too, love word walls. I just love the idea that students are inundated with words, through speech, reading, classroom activities, and even the walls surrounding them. As we talked about in class yesterday, students need that exposure to words to develop automaticity. Can you think of other ways to expose children to words?
ReplyDeleteCourtney, this is a very impressive first blog! Great Job!! Like Monica said above, I love word walls too. I feel like they are extremely effective and are a very helpful tool for teachers. In response to your thoughts on the first article I completely agree with you about how surprising it is that accuracy has such an affect on comprehension. I am sure that many of us made mistakes as that boy did and misread a very crucial word in the story! I know that you are interested in the lower grades like me, so I know that getting some students to read will be a great challenge. That is why I can relate to your comment on how important it is to make sure your students are reading an easy reader of their interest. If students are not interested in what they are reading then they will not be motivated to read!! Every point you made was very good and I enjoyed reading your blog because I agree with everything you have discussed!
ReplyDelete